-
January 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Enclosure assistance and recommendation
Hello!
Well it?s time to ask the questions of the people that will know best. The other day I had the pleasure of listening to a pair of 604E?s in big sealed boxes. The buddy that has them put the system together back in the 70?s. I was floored and knew these were the speakers for me. After doing some research I?ve decided (having not listened to them of course) on either the GPA H-II or the Iconic version of this driver. Now for the enclosure and this is where I need the help. Here is my system and listening needs.
I?m active duty Navy and move every few years and will for the next decade or so. The enclosure will need to be something within size, weight and proportions that it can be shipped and be fairly flexible in different rooms. Currently my room is 10? x 22? x 9?. I listen in the near field at about 7? with the speakers a couple of feet out from the back and side walls with in a triangular placement at about 40? ear to floor. I?m not able to use corner placement now and probably will not until my wife and I settle down somewhere.
I listen to everything really but primarily, vocals, classical to include organ works, large and small orchestration, chamber pieces, etc. Strings and piano are important, piano especially so for the wife, opera (love it and still learning), classic rock, jazz, ambient and other music that fits my fancy at the moment. Attack and decay need to be right as should imaging and soundstage (which these speakers do so well), quality dynamics, fast and accurate musical bass (doesn?t need to hit 20hz or even 30hz for that matter, quality over quantity) and vocals that will make you feel as if the singer is in the room.
Associated equipment: Thorens TD 124 table, Slim Devices Transporter, Meridian 508.24 CD, McIntosh MR 71 tuner, McIntosh C22 preamp, Pass Labs Aleph 30 power amp, McIntosh MC75 power amps, and I would like to build a couple lower powered SET amps this year to get the SET experience.
That same buddy loaned me a copy of ?Hi-Fi Loudspeakers and Enclosures? for a little light reading and can highly recommend it if you haven?t picked it up yourself. I?m an alright woodworker, have access to the military wood shop and have friends that are much better than I am. I?m not opposed to buying a prebuilt enclosure if the quality is right and it was designed for this speaker (a good price is important too). With the knowledge I?m picking up from this book and some test equipment at home (signal generator, spl meter), I?m pretty sure I could tune the enclosure enough and not screw it up.
GM, thank you for turning me on to this site and I?ve been doing my homework. I?m comfortable with a 9-15 cf cab or in that range, as long as it will get through a door, can be shipped by the military and is flexible with placement in the room. I would prefer not to use a subwoofer but again, don?t need low bass, just quality bass (though low would be nice). The enclosures that have stood out so far are the mysterious MLTL designs, Altec 620 series, and the Stonehenge V. The Stonehenge seems like the right shape, tall over wide and if it fits my listening requirements might be the cab of choice but need your experiences. I would like to do this right the first time as we all do. Thanks in advance for your help!
Aaron
-
January 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Enclosure assistance and recommendation

Originally Posted by
johnsonad
Hello!
Well it?s time to ask the questions of the people that will know best.
....The Stonehenge seems like the right shape, tall over wide and if it fits my listening requirements might be the cab of choice but need your experiences. I would like to do this right the first time as we all do. Thanks in advance for your help!
Aaron
I think you are on the right track.
The imaging alone is worth the ride.
I recommend the Stonehenge V design.
Not huge...relatively speaking
Not placement challenged....when you sit in a chair they're at the right height
Not complicated...the cab dimensions for this speaker are simple,classic...and work well!
Good luck!
P.S.
I've also heard the 620 cab...great design...but they need to be elevated.
In a fixed installation not a problem...but you said you were moving around.
P.S.S.
I remember hearing these speakers in the classic 9 cu.ft. reflex cabs
when I was a kid and it walks me back in time...the gentleman who had the
altec duplexes also had McIntosh tube amps, probably a Thorens turntable, etc.
and this system when done right is...well it's just so dam pleasant sounding.
-
January 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Enclosure assistance and recommendation
Hey shipmate,,,
As a former sailor here, I have done my share of moves , mainly dity moves. If you let them move you or you are forced to by way of oconus, the you will need to remove your speakers first. I always kept my original packing materials here on hand, Had a lot of buddies have things come up "missing" or completely busted up. The navy was pretty good about replacing things.
Now, the 620 is suppose to be a great, easy to go build. From what you want , you do not need anything to go too low and this should fit your build.
On sets, I went with bottlehead many years ago while I was stationed in JAX.... They have served me well since, I rotate things out every so often.
Just kidding on the shipmate part,,,lol.....
Take care and welcome to the forum........
-chris
-
January 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Enclosure assistance and recommendation
Johnson,
The edit function seems a wee bit slow for my taste.
Also forgot to mention the 612c cab, it is smaller and will not go as low as the 620....
http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Cabinet.pdf
plans: http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...net%20Plan.pdf
Also on the sets, If you are enlisted and I am sure you are aware of the NEETS mods,, grab a copy of Mod 6. Has a good bit of what you need to refresh yourself about tubes, xformers and all sorts of tube related material.
Whats your rate?? I see the ad after your name, you a mech?
later,
-chris
-
January 9th, 2009, 12:24 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Re: Enclosure assistance and recommendation
Thanks so far guys. Chris, I'm an HMC and had 9 moves in my time so far... It's amazing how much the Navy can break in one trip!
Still looking for more experiences. On the Stonehenge V, does anyone have a frequency response curve (in a room that isn't too lively)? In looking at the Iconic site, they seem to have ready made packages. Any comments on their builds? How about photos and info on their Magnificant speakers. Are these the same with veneer? Thanks again.
Aaron
-
January 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Enclosure assistance and recommendation
Hey johnson,
How are your wood-working skills? Does Coronado still have the wood shop? or are you at 32nd street, Balboa?
When I left Whidbey Island in 05, they had just removed their woodshop due due to no one using it.
The cabs are very simple to build, and if you can, I would build them yourself, if you are inclined to do so. I am hands on person, so I rather diy than pay for it.
I do not have any graphs, you might want to try a search here or on the Asylum.
Good luck...
-chris
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks